Browse by yearTotal

110 media employees killed in 2006

Cases are listed by order of country

Afghanistan (3)
Karen Fisher and Christian Struwe, two freelance journalists working for the German international broadcaster Deutsche Welle, were shot dead on 7 October in Baghlan, a city north of Kabul. According to reports, the two reporters were killed by unidentified gunmen as they were sleeping in their tent. Reportedly, they were in Afghanistan to do research for a documentary.

Abdul Qodus, a cameraman for the private TV station Aryana was killed on 22 July in a suicide bombing in Kandahar, southern Afghanistan. According to reports, Qodus was filming the scene of a first suicide bombing, when a second bomber blew himself up. Qodus was allegedly rushed in the Kandahar's Miwai hospital, where he succumbed to his head injuries. According to local sources, Qodus joined the TV station eight months prior to the attack. The Taliban have reportedly claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Angola (2)
Benicio Wedeinge, director of the public TV station TPS was killed at home on 16 July in Onjiva, in the southern province of Cunene. According to reports, an unidentified man broke into his house and shot him twice.

Augusto Sebastiao Domingos Pedro, correspondent of the state-owned "Jornal de Angola" was beaten to death on 8th July in the Capital city of Luanda. According to local sources, Pedro had had an argument with a driver at a petrol station. He succumbed to his injuries.

Bangladesh (1)
Bellal Hossain Dafadar, correspondent of the daily newspaper Janabani, was attacked and stabbed by five unknown assailants on 14 September. He later succumbed to his injuries.

Brazil (1)
Freelance journalist Ajuricaba Monassa de Paula was beaten to death in Guapirimim, Rio de Janeiro state on 24 July. The journalist was arguing with a relative of Osvaldo Vivas, a councillor he had accused of questionable administrative practices, when the councillor intervened. Vivas, a martial arts black belt, began hitting the journalist until he collapsed. Monassa was rushed to nearby hospital where he died from his injuries. Monassa was a freelance writer for several magazines and websites, and was a constant critic of the municipal government, whom he accused of lacking in transparency and breaking promises. He was 73 years old.

China (2)
Xiao Guopeng, editor of the Anshun Daily died on 19 July as the result of injuries sustained in a violent assault the previous day in the southwestern province of Guizhou. According to local sources, Pan Dengfeng, head of Anshun's Xinchang county police attacked Guopeng when he saw the editor discussing with Pan's ex-wife, also an employee of the newpaper. Dengfeng reportedly pounced on the journalist, knocked him down and kicked him repeatedly. Guopeng died on the following day of a cerebral haemorrhage in hospital. According to reports, Pan turned himself in only on 28 July. The motive of the attack remains unclear.

Wu Xianghu, a correspondent for the evening newspaper Taizhou Wanbao, died on 2 February from injuries sustained from a beating carried out by traffic police in October 2005 in the eastern coastal city of Taizhou. The attack was reportedly prompted by an exposé written by Xianghu on high fee collections for electric bicycle licenses. On 20 October, the day after the report appeared in the newspaper, dozens of uniformed traffic officers arrived at the offices of Taizhou Wanbao, assaulted Xianghu, carried him from the building and forced him into a police van. The journalist died of liver and kidney failure after a number of months of hospitalisation.

Colombia (4)
Francisco Bonilla Romero, journalist and founder of the Columbian Association of Foreign Correspondents, was shot in the face by a masked gunman on the night of 12 October at the residence of his brother in law Mario de Alay, Spanish consul in Cali, Colombia. There have been mixed reports regarding the motivation behing this killing. The Institute for Press and Society of Lima was informed by local police that the shooting was the result of a robbery that Mr. Romero had been attempting to prevent. However, El Tiempo newspaper has reported that the killers specifically targeted Romero, with the gunman stating 'It's him', before shooting Romero. A communiqué calling for an investigation into the murder was signed on 20, October by approximately 50 journalists, lawyers and publicists.

Atilano Segundo Pérez Barrios, a radio commentator for Radio Vigía de Modelar, was killed in his home in the city of Cartagena on 23 August. According to reports, an unidentified man broke into the journalist's house and shot him twice in the stomach. He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead. Barrios was known for his critical commentaries on the government and the role played by paramilitary forces.

Milton Fabián Sanchez, a journalist for the Yumbo Estéreo radio station was murdered on 10 August in the city of Yumbo, in south-eastern Colombia. Sanchez was shot three times by a masked assailant outside his home. He was reportedly hit in the face and taken to hospital, where he died shortly after. Sanchez was the host of three weekly programs. The main theme of two of them - "Notas de Gestion" and "La Personeria" - was civic education. The third one, "Mesa Redonda", was a community programme, which dealt with political issues. The motive of the murder remains unclear.

Gustavo Rojas Gabalo, a host for the "El Show de El Gaba" programme on Radio Panzenú, was shot by unidentified gunmen on 4 February in the northwestern city of Montería, Córdoba province. According to reports, the journalist approached by two men on motorcycle as he was getting into his car outside a local supermarket, and shot twice at close range in the head and collarbone. Witnesses reported a brief altercation between Rojas and one of the assailants before being fired on. He sustained severe head injuries in the attack and underwent repeated surgery before succumbing to his injuries on 20 March. Rojas was a popular radio personality who had been on the air for more than 30 years. His show featured music, news, and commentary that often focused on government corruption. On 1 April 2006, local police reportedly arrested three men in connection to the murder. According to the police, two of them have strong ties to a local paramilitary group. Police are still looking for a fourth suspect.

Democratic Republic of Congo (1)
Freelance journalist Bapuwa Mwamba was murdered by unidentified gunmen who burst into his house on 8 July in the Kinshasa district of Matete. According to reports, he was shot after his mobile phone and 600 US dollars were stolen from him. The journalist died from haemorrhage after being shot twice in the right leg. On 6 July, Mwamba published a commentary in the daily Le Phare criticising Congolese authorities and the international community for what he deemed to be the failure of the country's political transition. A few weeks earlier, men wearing military uniforms raided Mwamba's house. The men reportedly threatened to kill Mwamba, but the motive behind the attack remained unclear and the police failed to follow up on Mwamba's complaint. Mwamba, who worked for several publications in Kinshasa, was a former correspondent for the France-based magazine Jeune Afrique Economie.

Dominican Republic (2)
Facundo Labata Ramirez, a radiojournalist and businessman who worked for a number of different radio stations, was shot dead on 25, September in his hometown of Los Alcarrizos while playing dominoes with a friend outside a grocery store. Mr. Ramirez's daughter has suggested that he was murdered because of his reporting on drug trafficking in his neighbourhood.

Domingo Disla Florentino, a television journalist and lawyer, was shot dead on 28, August, while attempting to return to his workplace of Boca Chica, outside the Dominican capital.

Ecuador (2)
Raúl Sanchez Sandoval, a freelance photographer who contributed to the dailies La Hora Durandeña and La Prensa de Durán, was murdered on 14 February in Durán, a suburb of the city of Guayaquil. Witnesses reportedly saw Sanchez Sandoval being approached by a man in a car and the two men exchanged a few words. The driver then pulled out a gun and opened fire. The journalist was hit by two bullets in the spine, a third in the right leg and a fourth in the abdomen. He died shortly after being taken to hospital. Sanchez Sandoval was reportedly followed for several days prior to the attack. The motive for his killing is unknown.

José Luis León Desiderio, a host of the daily news programme "Opinión" on local Radio Minutera, was shot and killed in the city of Guayaquil on 13 or 14 February. The journalist was on his way to meet his wife late at a bus stop near to their home in the evening of the 13th when he was attacked. He was shot twice and there were no signs of robbery. His wife and daughter found the journalist's body near their home early the following morning. A few days prior to his murder, León received a death threat via a text message on his cell phone. A week prior to attack, the journalist had reported that unidentified men hurled stones at his house. Since his murder, León's wife and daughter have received threatening calls on their cell phones, warning them that they will be the next ones to die. A well-known journalist who began his career with the newspaper El Telegrafo 22 years ago and later worked for a number of radio stations, including Z1 and Radio Minutera, León often reported on gang violence, drug trafficking, and the lack of police presence in Guayaquil's suburbs.

Guatemala (1)
Eduardo Heriberto Maas Bol, a journalist at the Radio Punto was shot dead on 10 September in the city of Coban, in central Guatemala. According to reports, Bol's body was found in his car with five bullet wounds on his body. The exact circumstances of the death remain unclear. Bol, who also worked at the daily El Correo del Norte and Radio Mia had not received any death threats according to his relatives and colleagues. However, Angel Martin Tax, another journalist at El Correio del Norte had allegedly been told over the phone that he will be "the next one on the list".

Guyana (6)
Mark Maikoo, Chitram Persaud, Eon Wigman and Richard Stuart, print
technicians for the newspaper Kaieteur News, were shot dead on {{8
August}} by an armed gang in their newspaper's printing press in
Bagotstown, a suburb of the capital city of Georgetown. The gunmen
reportedly obliged the men to lie face down on the ground before
shooting them in the head. All four died instantly. According to
reports, other people were seriously injured in this attack, including
Shazim Mohamed who was reportedly rushed to hospital, where he later
succumbed to his head injuries on 14 August. The motive for the attack is unknown

Ronald Waddell, a former talk-show host on HBTV Channel 9, was gunned down outside his home in the Subryanville suburb of the capital of Georgetown on 30 January. Waddell was getting into his car in the garage of his home when he was ambushed by two men who emerged from a car parked on the other side of the street. The journalist died upon arrival at a Georgetown hospital. He had reportedly been shot 13 times. Waddell used to be a host of the talk-show "Taking Care of Business" on HBTV Channel 9. He had recently been taken off air for controversial remarks he made on his programme. It was alleged that Wadell spoke in support of gunmen in Buxton, a group he was linked on numerous occasions to. Waddell was also an active member of the People's National Congress (PNC), and was a fierce critic of President Bharrat Jagdeo. He also had several run-ins with the law, once for his alleged participation in the storming of the Office of the President in July 2003. After the attack on Waddell, police apprehended four men in a vehicle and found three handguns and ammunition in the car. It is not known whether the men were linked to the journalist's murder.

India (3)
Shabir Ajmad Dar, a twenty three year old photojournalist, was kidnapped and beheaded on 13, September in the Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashir. Dar was kidnapped on the night of 13, September, and his head and body were found separately on 14, September.

Arun Narayan Dekate, a correspondent for the Marathi-language daily Tarun Bharat died on 10 June from injuries sustained in an attack that occurred two days earlier. Dekate was riding a motorcycle with a friend when he was attacked and stoned by four people. He was taken to hospital with severe injuries and succumbed two days later. Local police has opened an investigation into the killing. Dekate recently exposed a gambling racket in his newspaper and gave information to the police which apparently helped in the arrest of criminals. He was 30 years old.

Prahlad Goala, a correspondent for the Assamese-language daily Asomiya Khabar was murdered near his home in the district of Golaghat, in the northeastern state of Assam, on 6 January. The journalist was riding a motorcycle when he was apparently rammed by a vehicle and subsequently stabbed to death. Goala's body was found with multiple stab wounds, many to the head. It is believed more than one assailant carried out the attack. Prior to his murder, Goala had written a series of investigative articles for Asomiya Khabar that linked local forestry service officials to timber smuggling. Investigating authorities have reportedly identified a number of suspects. Zamman Jinnah, a forest warden, was arrested on suspicion of Goala's murder and released on bail. Jinnah allegedly made death threats against Goala soon after his articles on corruption in the forestry service appeared. Two other suspects, who were not forestry service employees, have also been brought in for questioning.

Indonesia (1)
Herliyanto, a freelance reporter with the Radar Surabaya, Delta Post, and Jimber News newspapers, was found dead with numerous stab wounds in a forest near the town of Banyuanyar in East Java province, on 29 April. According to reports, Herliyanto was investigating corruption allegations involving school construction funds in the village of Tulupari. An initial police investigation revealed that the journalist was followed by six individuals riding motorcycles just prior to his murder. Herliyanto's motorcycle was found near his body. His camera and notebook were missing.

Iran (1)
Ayfer Serçe, a Kurdish journalist and activist holding Turkish nationality was killed on the 24, July in Northwestern Iran while attempting to reach the border. She had been reporting on suicides committed by Kurdish women in the region of Azarbayjan. Serçe worked for Firat Haber Ajansi, or the Euphrates News Agency.

Iraq (45)
Akil Sarhan, a journalist for the sports TV channel al-Riyadia, was killed on 29 December by unidentified armed men as he was on his way to work.

Walid Hassan, a famous comedian and television presenter for Al-Sharkiya, was shot dead during a kidnapping attempt on 21, November in Baghdad. Hassan presented a popular satirical programme entitled 'Caricatures', in which the targets she mocked included the US Army, Iraqi politicians, Shiite militias, and Sunni insurgents. Hassan was reportedly warned to leave her job prior to her murder.

Luma Mohammad Reyad, a reporter for US funded Iraqi paper Al Dustoor, was killed on 17, November in Ba'kouba, in the province of Diyala, north-east of Baghdad.

Fadia Mohammed Abid, a journalist for the local independent daily Al Masar in Mosul, was shot dead by unidentified gunmen on 15, November. Ms. Abid was on her way to work with her driver, who was also killed.

Mohammed Al-Ban, who worked for Sharqiya, a Sunni owned satellite television station which is the main competitor of state-run Al Iraqiya station, was killed outside his home in Mosul on 13, November.

Qussai Abbas, a journalist writing for Tariq Al Shaab, a newspaper affiliated with the Communist party, was shot to death on 2, November in Baghdad. Mr. Abbas was on his way to work, and his driver was also killed in the attack.

Ahmed Al-Rasheed, 29, a reporter for Al-Sharqa television channel, and formerly for Addyar satellite channel, was shot dead in Northern Baghdad by unidentified militants on 1, November.

Abdelmajid Isma'il Khalil, a sixty seven year old freelance journalist who worked for a number of Iraqi papers was discovered dead by police on 31, October. He had been kidnapped by unidentified gunmen on 18, October in eastern Baghdad. The Committee to Protect Journalists is currently investigating whether Khalil's death is related to his work as a journalist.

Naqshin Hamma Rashid, a thirty year old journalist who worked as a Kurdish news presenter for the US funded Iraqi Media Network television channel Atyaf, was shot and killed in Baghdad by unidentified gunmen on 29, October. Ms. Rashid's driver was also killed in the attack. Journalists at Al-Iraqiya television station have reported that her murder is part of an ongoing campaign against employees of the Iraqi Media Network.

Saed Mahdi Shalash, a journalist for Rayat Al Arab newspaper, was shot to death by unidentified gunmen in his Baghdad home on 26 October. Shalash had been a journalist for some twenty years, previously working for the Iraqi News Agency, which he left in 2003. His wife was also killed in the attack on their home, situated in the Al Ameriya area of Western Baghdad. The International Federation of Journalists has condemned this killing and is appealing to the Iraqi government and the US military to protect journalists and press freedom in Iraq.

Raid Qais Al Shammari, a broadcast journalist who worked for Iraqi television station Al Irakiya, as well as the radio station Sawt Al Iraq (Voice of Iraq) and Somer Radio, was shot dead by unidentified assailants in front of his house in the Al Dora district of Baghdad on 13 October. Voice of Iraq radio and Al Irakiya television station are both part of the Iraqi Media Network (IMN), a US funded initiative launched by coalition forces after Baghdad was taken in 2003. Ali Halil, another journalist working for Al Irakiya was shot dead in the Al Hurriye district of Baghdad on 16 October. Reportedly, numerous journalists working for IMN organisations have received letters threatening that they will be murdered if they do not cease their work for the network. Dhiaa Al Hajjar, a cartoonist working for the daily Al Sabah, also part of IMN, was shot and wounded in Baghdad on 13 October. He is reported to be currently in a stable condition.

Abdul-Rahim Nasrallah al-Shimar, chairman and general manager, Noufel al-Shimari, deputy general manager, Thaker al-Shouwili, television presenter, Ahmad Sha'aban, administrative manager, and Hussein Ali, video mixer, all employees of National Justice and Progress Party owned satellite television station Al-Shaabiya, were killed on 12 October. Hassan Kamil, executive manager of the satellite station reported that masked gunmen, some of whom wore police uniforms, forcibly entered the Al-Shaabiya headquarters in Eastern Baghdad, and executed 11 people, with gunshots to the head and chest. Additionally, program manager Mushtak al-Ma'mari and news chief Muhammed Kathem were rushed to hospital, where they remain in critical condition, with multiple gunshot wounds. The Committee to Protect Journalists has called this the 'deadliest' attack on the Iraqi press since the initial invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

Azad Muhammad Hussein, a radio journalist for sunni Iraqi Islamic Party owned Radio Dar Al-Salam, was identified in a Baghdad morgue on 10 October. No clear details are available concerning when or how the body was delivered to the morgue. Hussein had been kidnapped by unidentified gunmen on 3 October in the al-Shaab district of northern Baghdad. Iraqi press freedom organisation The Journalistic Freedoms Observatory has reported that his body bore signs of torture.

Ahmed Riyadh al-Karbouli, a correspondent for Baghdad TV, was gunned down by unidentified gunmen in the city of Ramadi on September 18. Six gunmen in two cars opened fire on al-Karbouli as he was talking to some friends outside a mosque. Over the past four months, Al-Karbouli had reportedly received several death threat from insurgents warning him to leave the TV station.

Safa Isma'il Enad, a freelance photographer, was shot on 13 September in Baghdad. According to reports, two unidentified gunmen barged into a photo print shop, where the photographer was at the time, asking for him by his first name. Once Enad had replied, they shot him and left the shop with his body. Later, they got rid off the body in east Baghdad.

Hadi Anawi al-Joubouri, a journalist and representative of the Iraqi Journalists Syndicate was killed on 12 September. The journalist got caught in an ambush in north-east Baghdad. Multiple bullet wounds were found on his body.

Abdel Karim al-Rubai, design editor for the government-owned Al-Sabath daily, was gunned down on 9 September in eastern Baghdad. Several gunmen opened fire on Rubai's car, killing him on the spot, and seriously injuring another staff member, Ahmed Sami. According to reports, the newspaper is often targeted because of its connection to the US-supported Iraqi government. Two weeks prior to the attack, the newspaper had reportedly received a death threat against al-Rubai via email. The message was signed by the military wing of the Mujahedeen Council, Al-Qaeda's affiliate in Iraq.

Mohammad Abbas Mohammad, editor of the Shiite-owned newspaper  Al-Bayinnah Al-Jadida was shot by unidentified gunmen on 7 August in  western Baghdad. According to reports, Mohammad was on his way to his  office when he was attacked. According to local journalists, Mohammad had received numerous death threats because of his association with the newspaper.

The body of Ismail Amin Ali, a freelance journalist for the Al-Sabah  and Al-Qarar newspapers, was found on 7 August by the police in  eastern Baghdad. According to reports, the journalist received  numerous gunshot wounds and signs of torture were visible on his body.  Ali had been missing for two weeks, after having been abducted at a  petrol station in the Al-shaab, neighbourhood of Baghdad. Ali's  abductor's reportedly demanded a ransom payment for the journalist,  which his family did not succeed in paying.

Adel Naji al-Mansouri, Baghdad correspondent for TV channel Al-Alam was shot dead on 31 July whilst returning home in western Baghdad. According to reports, al-Mansouri was attacked by unidentified gunmen, who stole his phone, press card and money. Rushed to a nearby hospital, the journalist succumbed to his injuries shortly after. A year prior to the attack, al-Mansouri, a Shiite, reportedly decided to move away from Baghdad his wife and daughter after having received several death threats. Despite the danger, al-Mansouri decided to stay in Baghdad and continue his work.

Riyadh Mohamed Ali, reporter for the local weekly Tala'far al-Youm was ambushed by gunmen on his way to work in Talafer, Mosul on 30 July. Ali is the second journalist from the newspaper to be killed. Ahmed Hussein al-Maliki, editor of the newspaper, was shot by unidentified gunmen as he was leaving an Internet café in the central district of Mosul, in November 2005. Sectarian violence in the city is intense.

The body of Osama Qadeer, a freelance cameraman for the US TV network Fox News, was found by the police on 29 June. Qadeer reportedly disappeared on 25 June, after being abducted by a group of unidentified men in the Al-shaab suburd, in eastern Baghdad.

Ibrahim Seneid, an editor for Fallujah based newspaper Al Bashara was killed in a drive by shooting on 14, June. Prior to Seneid's death insurgents had accused Al Bashara of printing US propaganda, and demanded that the newspaper be closed down.

Paul Douglas, a cameraman for the US-based CBS network, and James Brolan, a soundman for the network, were killed on 29 May when a car bomb exploded while they were accompanying a patrol with Iraqi and American soldiers in Baghdad. According to reports, the journalists were filming from outside their humvee and were believed to have been wearing protective gear when a car packed with explosives detonated. Douglas and Brolan were embedded with the U.S. Army's 4th Infantry Division. Douglas had worked for CBS in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Rwanda and Bosnia since the early 1990s. Brolan was a freelancer who worked with CBS News in Baghdad and Afghanistan over the past year.

Abbas Ahmed Kadhem, a journalist for the al Adaalah (Justice) newspaper, was found dead in the district of al Madaen in Baghdad, on the morning of 10 May. Kadhem had previously worked for the Babel newspaper, which was owned by Uday, the son of ousted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

The bodies of Laith Mashaan, a correspondent for Nahrein TV and Muazaz Ahmed, a technician for the same television station, were found on a street in the district of Madaen in Baghdad on 8 May. According to reports, the journalists were stopped by individuals dressed as policemen on their way home on 7 May. The individuals confiscated their papers and cell phones before taking the journalists to an unknown location. Their bodies were found the following morning.

Abed Shaker al Delaimi, a freelance photographer, was shot by unidentified gunmen in the city of Basra on 7 May. Al Delaimi was a member of the Journalists' Syndicate. He had also worked for the al Jumhureyya and al Qadeseyya newspapers.

Ismail Mohammad Khalaf, a print shop technician for the Baghdad-based newspaper Al-Sabah on 7 May, was killed when a car bomb went off in the newspaper's garage. The explosion injured more than twenty of the newspaper's employees.

The body of freelance journalist Abdel Magid Al Mohammadaoui was found in Baghdad on 5 May. He was identified thanks to his press card.

The body of TV Reporter Saud Mazahem Al Hadithi of the satellite station Al-Baghdadia was found on 5 May. He had been kidnapped a few days before. According to reports, the journalist's body showed signs of torture.

Kamal Anbar, a journalism trainee on assignment for the London-based Institute for War & Peace Reporting (IWPR), was killed by Iraqi forces' fire during a clash with insurgents on 26 March in Baghdad. According to reports, Iraqi forces, backed by U.S. military, opened fire after several shots were fired from a building adjacent to the mosque. Civilians rushed for cover, among them Anbar, who was found shot several times in the face and neck. Anbar had completed a two-week IWPR course on economics reporting and was writing an article on the displacement of Iraqi families and the volatile housing market. He was at the mosque conducting interviews when the fighting broke out. He was 28 years old.

Muhsin Khudhair, editor of the news magazine Alef Ba, was killed by unidentified gunmen near his home in Baghdad, on 13 March. According to reports, the shooting took place just hours after Khudair attended a meeting of the Iraqi Journalists Union, which discussed the targeting of local journalists in Iraq.

Amjad Hameed, the head of Iraq's state television channel Al-Iraqiya, was shot and killed by gunmen in central Baghdad on 11 March. The journalist, who was shot several times in the head and chest, was ambushed in his car while on his way to the office. Hameed had been head of programming for the state television channel since July 2005. Al-Qaeda's affiliate in Iraq claimed responsibility for the attack in Internet postings, however these claims have not been verified. The journalist's driver, Anwar Turki, was also killed in the attack.

Munsuf Abdallah al-Khaldi was shot by unidentified gunmen in west Baghdad on 7 March. Al-Khaldi, a presenter for of the Iraqi television station Baghdad TV, was driving from the Iraqi capital with three passengers en route to the city of Mosul to carry out some interviews for his programme. The assailants reportedly stopped the car and began firing, hitting al-Khaldi three time. One passenger was also killed and the other two passengers injured. Al-Khaldi presented an educational and cultural show focusing on Middle Eastern poetry.

The bodies of correspondent Atwar Bahjat, cameraman Khaled Mahmoud al-Falahi, and engineer Adnan Khairallah were found near the city of Samarra on 23 February, a day after Al-Arabiya, the television station for which they were working, lost contact with the team. Bahjat, 30, was a well-known on-air figure. She had recently joined the channel after working as a correspondent for the Arabic satellite channel Al-Jazeera. Al-Falahi, 39, and Khairallah, 36, were employees of Wasan Productions who were on assignment for Al-Arabiya. The crew was on the outskirts of the city covering the bombing of the Shiite shrine Askariya, also known as the Golden Mosque. Bahjat's last broadcast was at 6 p.m. on 22 February. The television station reportedly lost phone contact with the crew that evening as it was filing a subsequent report to Dubai. Al-Arabiya was investigating the account of a fixer for Wasan Productions who said armed men driving a white car had attacked the crew after demanding to know the whereabouts of the correspondent. All three victims were Iraqi.

Mahmoud Za'al, a cameraman for Baghdad Satellite Channel, was killed in clashes between Sunni rebels and U.S. forces in the town of Ramadi, west of Bagdhad, on 25 January. Za'al was filming an insurgent attack on two buildings occupied by U.S forces when he was wounded in the legs and, according to eye witnesses, killed a few moments later in a U.S. air strike. The air strike was denied by the US military. The cameraman's death was confirmed by Baghdad Satellite Channel.

Lebanon (2)
Layal Nagib, a 23 year old photographer working for the magazine Al Jarass (The Bell), was killed by a missile on 23 July, near the city of Tyre, southern Lebanon. According to reports, she was covering the Israeli bombing when a missile exploded near her car. She died instantly.

Suleiman al-Chidiac, a technician working for the Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation (LBC) was killed on 22 July during an Israeli air strike in Satka, eastern Beirut. The strike put the station, the larger broadcaster in Lebanon and the most popular in the Middle East, off the air.

Mexico (6)
Roberto Marcos Garcia, chief reporter for the weekly Testimonio, was killed on 21, November in Veracruz. Garcia wastravelling along a highway north of the city when he was knocked off his motorbike by unidentified assailants, and subsequently shot four times in the head and body. Gracia had been writing a series of investigative reports on crimes ranging from auto theft, to corruption, to drug trafficking. He was reportedly returning from a fact finding mission when he was gunned down.

Nava Sanchez, who had been Washington correspondent for the Mexican daily Excelsior for 22 years, was stabbed to death. He was found dead in his apartment in Mexico City on 16, November. A laptop computer and some other items are reportedly missing from Sanchez's apartment, and neighbours have reported hearing sounds of an argument. Prior to his murder Sanchez wrote a book in which he criticized the sale of for having taken place in 'irregular circumstances'.

Misael Tamayo Hernandez, editor of daily El Despertar de la Costa, was found dead in a hotel room in Zihuatanejo, Mexico on 10, November. The victim's hands had been tied behind his back, and three puncture marks were found on his body. The official cause of his death has been reported as a heart attack. On the day prior to his death, Mr. Hernandez's paper ran stories on organised crime and corruption in the local government.

Bradley Will, an American documentary filmmaker who worked for New York's Independent Media Centre (Indymedia) was shot in the chest and killed in Oaxaca, Mexico on 27, October, while reporting on demonstrations taking place there. Indymedia reports that Will was shot by pro-government paramilitaries. The Committee to Protect Journalists has reported that local police may have been involved in the shooting, and has called for a criminal inquiry into the murder to be conducted by 'federal authorities.

The body of Enrique Perea Quintanilla, editor of the crime magazine "Dos Caras, Una Verdad" (Two faces, One Truth), was discovered on 9 August about 15 kilometers away from the northern city of Chihuahua. According to reports, Quintanilla had been shot twice, in the head and in the back. The magazine he worked for was specialized in reporting on murder cases and local drug affairs. Before the creation of the magazine, the journalist worked for 20 years as a police reporter for the El Heraldo and El Diario newspapers. Prior to the murder, he was reportedly harassed by the local government because of his revelations and critics about corruption and a number of unsolved crimes.

Jaime Arturo Olvera Bravo, a freelance photographer and former correspondent for the Morelia-based daily La Voz de Michoacán, was shot to death near his home in La Piedad in the central state of Michoacán on 9 March. The journalist was waiting at a bus stop with his is 5-year-old son when an unknown assailant approached him, firing at close range. A bullet struck Olvera in the neck, and he died at the scene. His son was unharmed. Olvera worked for La Voz de Michoacán until April 2002, when he resigned to become a salesman for a processed meat company. Olvera continued working as a freelancer, providing photographs and crime tips to local media.

Pakistan (4)
Mohammad Ismail, Islamabad bureau chief of Pakistan Press International, was found murdered near his home on 1 November. Local police believe his death was caused by blows to the head inflicted by an iron bar. No clear motive is known for the murder. The Committee to Protect Journalists has called for an investigation into Ismail's death.

Maqbool Hussain Siyal, a senior journalist and a district correspondent for the Online News Network, was shot dead on 14 September in the city of Dera Ismail Khan, in north-western Pakistan, an area known for sectarian violence. According to reports, Siyal was on his way to meet Pakistan People's Party Parliamentarians leader Nawab Azek, when he was shot in the head by two unidentified gunmen on bicycle. As he was being rushed to nearby hospital, the journalist suffered a serious haemorrhage and died.

The body of Hayatullah Khan, a reporter and photographer who went missing on December 5, 2005, was found on June 16 in the town of Mir Ali, in the North Waziristan region near the Afghan border. According to reports, Khan, had probably been murdered on June 15. He had been shot in the head and was handcuffed when villagers found the body.
Hayatullah Khan, who was a reporter for the daily "Ausuf" newspaper and also worked as a photographer for several international news agencies, was captured by five gunmen in December.
The day before his abduction, Khan had taken pictures giving evidence that a senior figure from Al-Qaeda had been killed by a US missile and not by a bomb blast, as claimed by the government.
Because of his reporting, Khan received numerous threats from local tribesmen, Taliban members and Pakistani security forces.

Munir Ahmed Sangi, a cameraman for the Sindhi-language Kawish Television Network (KTN) was shot on 29 May while covering a gunfight between members of the Unar and Abro tribes in the town of Larkana, in southeast Pakistan's Sindh district. According to reports, some of the journalist's colleagues believe he may have been deliberately targeted for the station's reporting on a jirga, or tribal council, held by leaders of the Unar tribe. An uncle and colleague of Sangi had recently been attacked in connection with KTN's reports that two children had been punished by the tribal court, PFUJ said

Philippines (8)
Prudencio "Vic" Melendres, a photojournalist for the daily tabloid Tanod was shot dead on 31 July in front of his house, in the capital city of Manilla. According to reports, as he was leaving his house, three gunmen approached Melendres. One of them shot him in the back and in the abdomen. He died instantly. He was also the cousin of Alberto Orsolino, a photographer for the tabloid Saksi, who was murdered in May, in what is suspected to have been a revenge killing.

Radio broadcaster Armando Pace was shot dead by two unidentified men on 18 July in the city of Digos, on the southern island of Mindanao. According to reports, the journalist was riding home on a motorcycle after hosting his programme at radio DXDS, when two people opened fire on him. He was reportedly hurt in the chest and in the head and taken to hospital, where he died shortly after. Pace was known for his critical commentaries on drugs and local politicians.

Reporter and Radio host, George Vigo and his wife, Maricel Alave-Vigo, also a Radio host, were reportedly gunned down by two unidentified men on 19 June in Kidapawan City, south of Manila. Two men riding a motorcycle shot the couple, as they were on their way home. Both died later in hospital of their injuries.
Vigo was a frequent contributor of the local newspapers and was a presentor of a programme for young people entitled "Tingog sa Kabatan-unan" ("Youth voice") on Radio DxND-AM.
Alave-Vigo hosted a weekly programme "Kalihukan sa kongreso" ("Congress affairs") on Radio DxND-AM.
Known as human activists, they were involved in the creation of the Federation of Reporters for Empowerment & Equality (FREE).
Relatives of the couple said they were not aware of any enemies. However the Radio DxND-AM has been targeted several times over the past years. A month ago the station reportedly received a letter containing a poster along with this message "Death to the supporters of the communist Party of the Philippines/New people's Army/National Democratic Front. Masses, revolt!" Three years ago, a bomb was discovered in the radio station's parking.

Fernando Batul, a commentator for Radio DZRH in Puerto Princessa, Palawan Island, was shot dead on 22 May. The journalist, who was shot six times, was ambushed by two gunmen on motorcycles as he drove to work. The killing came one week after two hand grenades were thrown at his house, but failed to detonate. The attackers also left a letterthreateningharmto his family if Batul continued his critical broadcasts. Batul was a former vice mayor of Puerto Princessa and had been highly critical of the current mayor. Police have indicated the murder of Batul appeared to be the work of hired killers. Just prior to his murder, Batul had uncovered and broadcast a case of illegal recruitment of workers in which officials were implicated. Four witnesses identified Aaron Golipardo, a member of the national police, as the person who shot Batul from a motorcycle. He was arrested on 24 May. The accomplice has not yet been identified. Police have reported that the motive for the murder may have been the journalist's comments about Golipardo's violent behaviour. Batul had accused the policeman on the air of threatening a waitress with his pistol. The police added that Golipardo had already been accused of links to other murders.

Orlando Tapios Mendoza, a part-time newspaper editor and contributor to the local newspapers the Tarlac Profile and Tarlac Patrol, was shot several times by unidentified men while driving home from his farm in Tarlac, a city located 100 kilometres north of Manila on 4 April. Shot several times by his assailants, the journalist sustained fatal wounds to his head and body. At the time of his murder, Mendoza also held a position in the local government that involved resolving land disputes. Prior to joining the journalism profession, Mendoza was responsible for implementing the government's land reform programme. According to reports, Mendoza had recently been sued for libel by a local faction of the Philippine Guardian Brotherhood, a non-official organization for members of the military. The libel case was dismissed by a local court in late March 2006. Some of the journalist's recent reporting had also been highly critical of the group. Mendoza was also vice-president of the Camp Marabulos Press Club and director of the Tarlac chapter of the Central Luzon Media Association.

Graciano Aquino, a columnist for the weekly newspaper Central Luzon Forum, was shot dead while watching a cockfight at an arena in the town of Morong, a city north of Manillia on 21 January. According to reports, armed attackers, thought to be members of the Marxist-Leninist Party of the Philippines-Rebolusyonaryong Hukbo ng Bayan, approached Aquino and shot him at close range in the nape of the neck. Prior to joining the newspaper, Aquino was a reporter for the radio station, dzRH.

Rolly Cañete, a radio broadcaster and political publicist, was shot by unidentified gunmen in the southern city of Pagadian on 20 January. According to reports, Cañete's attackers fled on motorcycle after shooting the journalist three times in the back. Cañete was a part-time broadcaster on three radio stations, two of which are controlled by congressman Antonio Cerilles and his wife provincial governor Aurora Cerilles, the reports said. Both politicians employed Cañete as their publicist.

Russia (3)
Anatoly Voronin, the chief of the property management department of Russian news agency Itar-Tass, was found stabbed to death in his apartment on 16, October. Voronin worked at Itar-Tass for 23 years. His death is being treated by the police as a premeditated murder. The International Federation of Journalists has called for a detailed investigation into Voronin's murder.

Anna Politkovskaya, one of Russia's most prominent investigative journalists, who worked for the independent newspaper Novaya Gazeta, was gunned down on 7 october in Moscow. According to reports, she was shot dead in the lift of her apartment building. Politkovskaya was known for her investigative reports on human rights abuses in Chechnya. She was also an outspoken critic of President Putin, about whom she wrote the book "Putin's Russia". During her career, the journalist received numerous death threats. Two years prior to the murder, Politkovskaya was allegedly poisoned on her way to cover the school hostage in Beslan.

The body of Yevgeny Gerasimenko, a correspondent for the independent weekly Saratovsky Rasklad was found in his flat on 26 July in the southern city of Saratov. According to reports, the journalist's mother found him with a plastic bag over his head and several bruises on his body. Despite no evidence of violent entry into the apartment Gerasimenko's computer, mobile phone and other items were reportedly missing. Prior to his death, the journalist was working on a story about the corporate takeover of a local company.

Somalia (1)
Martin Adler, a Swedish freelance photo-reporter, was shot on June 23 in Mogadishu, while covering a demonstration in support of a peace agreement between the Islamic court and Somalia's transitional government. A gunman reportedly came out of the crowd and shot Adler at very close range as he was filming the rally. He died instantly and the gunman disappeared into the crowd. A witness told AFP: "It was not an accident. It was an intentional murder by someone who wanted to kill a journalist."
Adler who worked for both Swedish and international media, had also won various prestigious prizes, including the 2001 Amnesty International Award and the 2004 London-based Rory Peck Award for Hard News and had worked in more than two dozen war zones, including Afghanistan, Bosnia, Congo, Iraq, Rwanda and Sierra Leone.

Sri Lanka (5)
Sinnathamby Sivamaharajah, managing director of the Tamil newspaper Namathu Eelanadu, and a former parliamentary representative of the Tamil party TULF, was killed on 20 August in his home in the city of Tellippalai, in north-east Sri Lanka. The motive for the killing remains unclear.

Sampath Lakmal de Silva, a freelance journalist specialised in defence questions, was shot dead on 2 July at Dehiwela, in the capital city of Colombo. According to reports, Lakmal was abducted from his parents' home by unknown men. His body was found three kilometers from the house. The governmental Security Information Centre reported that three bullets were found da Silva's body.

Two employees of the Tamil-language daily Uthayan were killed in a shooting attack on 2 May. According to reports, gunmen burst into the newspaper's offices and demanded to see the editor. When they learnt he was absent, they opened fire and shot Suresh Kumar, the newspaper's marketing manager, and Ranjith Kumar, another employee. Two other people sustained bullet wounds. The day before the killing, the newspaper had published a cartoon of pro-government Tamil leader Douglas Devananda of the Eelam People's Democratic Party (EPDP)

Subramaniyam Sugitharajah, a journalist for the Tamil-language daily Sudar Oli, was killed by an unidentified gunman while on his way to work in the eastern port town of Trincomalee on 24 January. The motive behind his slaying is not immediately known, however Sugitharajah had recently reported on the killing of five Tamil students in Trincomalee, according to local news reports. Military spokesmen initially said that the students were killed by their own grenade in a botched attack on the army, but photographs taken by the journalist showed that the men had died of gunshot wounds.

Sudan (1)
The decapited body of Mohammed Taha Mohammed Ahmed, editor-in-chief of the private daily Al-Wifaq, was found in southern Khartoum on 6 September. The journalist had been abducted the previous day by a group of masked gunmen. According to reports, his mutilated body was found beheaded, and his hands and feet were bound. In May 2005, Mohammed Ahmed had reportedly angered Islamist groups by publishing an article from the Internet questioning the parentage of the prophet Muhammad. The daily had received a 3,200 US$ fine and was temporarily suspended. In a letter addressed to the press, Ahmed had apologized, saying he did not intend to insult the prophet Muhammad, however denying the blasphemy charges. According to reports, he had received several death threats over the phone from militant Islamic groups.

Turkmenistan (1)
Ogulsapar Muradova, a correspondent for Radio Free Europe/ Radio Liberty (RFE/RL), died in jail in the capital of Ashgabat less than a month after she was sentenced to a six-year prison sentence. On 14 September, Muradova's family was called to the morgue by security services to collect her body. The time and circumstances of her death remain unclear. Some reports suggest that Muradova may have received a wound to the head and been beaten. Morgue officials, however, reportedly claim that the cause of death was natural but have refused to allow an independent doctor access to the body. Muradova was arrested in June together with two human rights activists, Sapardurdy Khajyev and Annakurban Amanklytshev. All of them were convicted at a closed-door trial "for illegal possession of ammunition".

Venezuela (3)
Pedro Bastardo, a journalist who had been working for approximately eight months in the north-eastern region of Sucre in Venezuela, died as a result of a number of shots to the head on 7 October while he was shopping in the city of Cumaná. An eyewitness has reported that an argument took place between Bastardo and his assailant prior to the murder. Sucre's Office of Scientific, Penal and Criminal Investigations currently believes the murder may have actually been a robbery gone wrong. However, there is no evidence that Bastardo was robbed of any of his belongings, and additionally his brother has reported that Bastardo did not have the habit of carrying large amounts of cash on his person. Lima's Institute for Press and Society has pledged to continue investigating the motivation behind Bastardo's killing.

Jésus Rafael Flores Rojas, a columnist with the daily La Región was gunned down on 23 August in front of his house in the city of El Tigre. According to reports, Rojas was hit eight times; in the face, neck and arm. The journalist was attacked as he was parking his car together with his daughter. Rojas reportedly begged the assailant for mercy, offering him to take his money or his car, but the gunman refused, saying that he was not there for either, and shot him. The journalist had received death threats due to his critical comments about the local governement officials. The authorities seem to believe that the murder was carried out by a professional killer.

Jorge Aguirre, a photographer with the newspaper chain Cadena Capriles, which publishes El Mundo, was shot as he approached an anti-crime demonstration in Caracas on 5 April. As Aguirre was driving to the protest in his vehicle, which was marked with the El Mundo newspaper logo, an unidentified individual on a motorcycle approached the journalist and demanded he stop the car. He refused, and the motorcyclist subsequently followed him to the scene of the demonstration and opened fire as he was exiting the car. The journalist received four gunshot wounds. Aguirre was rushed to a local hospital, where he died a few hours later. According to his newspaper, Aguirre managed to take a photo of his assailant's back as he was fleeing the scene.

Yemen (1)
Abed Al-Usaili, a journalist for Al Nahar newspaper, was killed in San'a on 2, July. Al Nahar newspaper has asserted that he was murdered because of an article he wrote on 22, June, entitled 'The Country of Tribe Suffers', which criticised local officials.